The direct-to-consumer test market is a bit fragmented – between traditional diagnostics purveyors and those providing genomic screening that have emerged in the past few years.
List of 20 key players in US market:
- 23andMe provides genetic analysis to consumers including ancestry, physical characteristics and carrier screening.
- Any Lab Test Now is a franchise of 150 laboratories offering tests for paternity, STDs, drugs, allergies and diabetes management.
- Color Genomics sells Color Kits
for $249 that analyze 19 genes using next generation sequencing to assess the risk of developing ovarian and breast cancer.
- Counsyl provides testing for inherited diseases and focuses on ruling out carrier status for parents who are contemplating pregnancy.
- Direct Laboratory Services
offers wellness screening, as well as laboratory tests for arthritis, autism, cancer and a number of other diseases by partnering with Quest Diagnostics.
- Gene by Gene offers carrier screening, whole genome sequencing, mitochondrial DNA sequencing, and family tree analysis.
- HealthCheckUSA is a discount direct-to-consumer testing lab based in Minnesota that offers standard clinical laboratory tests
- Home Access Health advertises the ability to perform multiple laboratory tests on a few drops of self-collected blood.
- Laboratory Corp.announced in 2015 that it would allow customers to order lab tests online without a doctor’s order.
- MyMedLab was one of the first
labs that performed laboratory tests without a physican’s order. It offers general health testing, metabolic panels, and female and male health screens.
- Mapmygenome is based in India and provides screening for genetic traits, drug response and inherited diseases.
- Pathway Genomics offers a liquid biopsy to detect cancer as well as pharmacogenomics and hereditary cancer carrier screening.
- Positive Bioscience is
based in India and offers personal genomic screening for predisposition to cancers of the breast, pancreas, ovaries, endometrium, skin, prostate, colon, lung and GI tract.
- Quest Diagnostics offers a Blueprint for Wellness Direct Pay system for consumers that can be ordered online, without a doctor’s order.
- Request A Test is an
Ohio-based company that offers 59 test panels for sexually transmitted disease, celiac disease, heart disease and immune disorders.
- Sonora Quest Labs in Arizona offers My Lab ReQuest, which offers direct-to-consumer wellness testing. It also has partnered with Safeway grocery stores to open retail diagnostics centers.
- Theranos used to be a much
discussed player in this market but has ceased operations after receiving a cease and desist order from the FDA.
- Walk-in Lab is a
Louisiana-based traditional diagnostics company that partners with LabCorp to offer heart health screening, cancer screening, wellness tests, STD testing, hormonal panels and more.
- WellnessFX focuses on
preventative care by testing for biomarkers that assess cardiovascular, metabolic, hormonal and nutritional health issues.
- Xcode Life Sciences is an India-based laboratory that provides pharmacogenomic testing and wellness evaluations.
20 key players in the direct-to-consumer lab testing market